Friday, December 4, 2009

The Seventies

Anyone out there old enough to remember Love's Fresh Lemon from the 1970's? Back in 1972, it was the hottest thing since sliced bread for teenage girls. I would head off to school in platform shoes, cuffed bell bottom pants smelling like a lemonade stand. Was I cool or what?

Fruit-scented sprays were all the rage in the early 70's. I recall once wearing a strawberry-scented musk to school in Grade 11, and my mother taunting me with the strains of "Strawberry Fields Forever" as my scent and I marched out the front door.

Then Love's Baby Soft came out. The baby powder scent was a huge sensation to my age group and I adored its soft, subtle scent. Baby Soft would waft into a room instead of taking it over.

Love's Baby Soft is still around to this day, but I think the Fresh Lemon is long gone. At least, it's been many years since I've seen it in stores. I am tempted to head over to Walmart and buy a bottle of Baby Soft for the first time in decades. I can relive old memories of teen crushes, high school dances, hilarious fashions and a special friend from Norway who spent the summer with me in 1972, introduced me to Love's Fresh Lemon and remains a friend to this day.

Often life goes in circles; Love's Baby Soft brings back my inner 16-year old and a simpler, less hectic way of life. Sometimes I miss that.

No comments:

Post a Comment